Thursday, December 10, 2009

Light In Our Darkess


With only two hours left in the day, I was finally able to reach my computer to post an image. However, it has been a hectic day, so let me explain just a bit. Photography is not something I consider myself to be overly passionate about, but it is something I care a great deal about. I always took photos of everything growing up, but they weren't good (although, like any kid, I thought I was a genius at the time). However, a community service trip to Tanzania the summer after my sophomore year of high school changed things. I began to concentrate on photography as a serious hobby, going to every website I could to get tips on aperture, shutter speed, photoshoot ideas, and photoshop shortcuts. However, I also began to concentrate heavily on film, it was what really got me excited (and still does), so I underestimated my love for photography for a while and got bored.

Senior year came around and I became good friends with a guy who loved music, film, and photography, as did I.... his amazingly artistic interest in photography re-sparked my interest. No matter how much I knew, he always challenged my knowledge and knew 10 times more than me. He encouraged me to see photography as I saw film: a lens through which to view the world outside of normality. I began to use photography to cope with my emotions surrounding common high school occurrences: issues with friends, feeling different, "the great college search", etc. Little did I know that the photography my friend got me re-interested in would be one of the devices I used (then and now) to cope with my despair after his death in May 2007. He had challenged me to challenge myself when I got bored of what I loved. His birthday also happened to be on December 10th. Instead of celebration, it's been a day of tears, yet I have confidence his artistic talents, rare and pure kindness, as well as his bare hugs live on in the lives he touched.

He is continually missed and loved.

"Goodnight Sweet Prince"

No comments:

Post a Comment