Sunday, August 16, 2009

Beauty Rethought


On Sunday I went to the Auckland Zoo with some friends and got this beautiful photo of a peacock. Most of the time people focus on the peacock's gorgeous tail feathers, but I believe their head is just as beautiful... so, that's what I got a shot of. For me, going to the zoo is much more a spiritual experience than most. I have been so lucky that I have been able to travel and see many animals in their natural habitat. So, every time I go to a zoo it is bitter sweet, especially when walking through the "pride lands". I love seeing the animals, there is something so magically peaceful yet curious about them, but I despise seeing the wire and metal surrounding them. I am glad zoos are working together to help endangered species, but I am devastated that humans as a whole are working against almost all animals. By the end of my trips to the zoo, I begin to think of what humans are doing to each other - we treat each other like we treat animals. What right does anyone have to kill, lock up, control, and interfere with others (human and animal alike)? I apologize for the rant, but I guess, in the end, I just don't understand why love and equality are so controversial.

No comments:

Post a Comment