Thursday, July 30, 2009

Watch Your Step


So, I am posting today's photo way late, but I decided that since 99.37% of the people who check this blog are in the states, it didn't really matter (it's still tomorrow for y'all). Anyway, I took this photo at the Wai-o-Tapu Geothermal Wonderland (I didn't make up the wonderland part, I promise). It was really cool. Not nearly as large as Yellowstone but it had it's own wonders to offer. It was crazy to see huge trees growing within inches of over 100 degree (celcius) water. Also, New Zealand is not like the States... you could get as close as you wanted (though there were a few warning signs), but we decided to maintain a good distance - no need to risk my life before I've gotten a chance to skydive and bungy jump (I had to mom). I was also amazed at the steam coming from every part of the ground, even on the drive to and from the park we passed farm land that had geothermal activity just right off the side of the road... it was crazy (one of the free city parks also had numrous geothermal pools... most of which you could try for yourself). It was a really fun day and I really enjoyed learning about the formation of it all in comparison to Yellowstone and learning about the impact of the eruption of Mt Tarawera. However, I will say that the smell of sulphur has stayed with me far too long...


Also, good news for Greenville: http://upstatefilms.wordpress.com
& way to go CC: HuffingtonPost (Top Greenest Colleges)

Tribute Video for Iran Protesters (great song and inpiring images): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3-paRB2No
& videos from the Global Day of Action (July 25th): http://united4iran.org
Things are changing, keep watching: Huffington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment